Saturday, June 19, 2010

Weaving

My Mother and I went the Quit and Craft fair in Phoenix at the beginning of the year, and she purchased 3 rag weaving frames.  One is small rug size, another is placemat size and the last is a good size to make a trivet or large coaster. My daughter K and I went to my mother’s cabin last weekend and she cut up an old sheet and sewed it end to end for the warp strands.  We cut strips of her fabric scraps that are not 100% cotton into 5 inch strips. The weaving is more like braiding as opposed to traditional weaving.  This way the front and the back look almost the same and the rug, placemat or coaster can be flipped over.  I started the rug size at the cabin and I brought it home to work on.  It is pretty easy and I have been working on this in the evenings while I am watching TV.  Here is my progress so far.  I will post a picture when it is done.

Fabric Strips

 

Progress so far

No comments:

Post a Comment